Elbert County, Georgia was created in 1790, and named for General Samuel Elbert [1740-1788]
The parent county from which Elbert County was organized is Wilkes. The county seat is Elberton, population about 7,000. The county, in the rolling hill country section of Georgia, above the fall line, is bordered on the east by the Savannah River, and on the west by the Broad River. Some early communities include Dewy Rose, Ruckersville, Fortsonia, Petersburg, Heardmont, Doves Creek, Rock Branch. Bowman is still a vital community. Still a rural area, the county has become famous for the production of granite.