Jefferson County was created in 1796 from Burke County and Warren County Georgia. Louisville is the county seat and the first permanent capital. It was also the first site where the government buildings were owned by the state. Savannah had served as the capital from Georgia's colonial period. For a short time Augusta was temporarily the capital city, while a new town Louisville, was being built in what was then the frontier. This new town would become the capital by an act of the General Assembly passed 26 January 1786.
On the 12th of January 1796 was the marked date of the first session of the General Assembly in Louisville. It was begun and held at the town of Louisville in the County of Burke. Jefferson County was created. Jefferson County was home to many Scotch-Irish in which they founded Queensboro before the Capital era days. The General Assembly in 1766 had passed an act to encourage settlers to come into the province and granted 1,800 pounds sterling for this purpose.
Jefferson County had many families who migrated on to the west and south. Many of the Jefferson County families asked for and received passports to the Alabama area.