Warren County was established on December 19, 1793 by an act of the Georgia General Assembly, and was created from parts of Columbia, Washington, and Wilkes counties. Georgia's 20th county was named for Revolutionary War hero, General Joseph Warren, who was killed in the Battle of Bunker Hill.
The 1793 act creating Warren County provided that a courthouse was built, courts would meet in the house of James McCormick. By 1797 no courthouse had been constructed, so the General Assembly directed that county courts meet at the house of Sterling Gardner (Ga. Laws 1796, p.7). An act of February 9, 1797 designated a lot on Gardner's plantation as the permanent county seat of Warren County (Ga. Laws 1797, p.34). This lot became the town of Warrenton, which the General Assembly incorporated on December 8, 1810 (Ga. Laws 1810, p.39).